Setting Spindle RPM (Mach4)
Problem: Not going the correct RPM?
Is the spindle encoder configured correctly?
- Option 1
- Test with a Tachometer and make sure it matches the RPM in Mach.
- Option 2
- Zero the HiCON encoder
- Rotate the spindle 360 degrees
- How many encoder counts did it move?
- Enter that value into the HiCON Config Window “RPM Counts / Rev” (access the Configure menu option, then plugins and select the HiCON plugin).
Is it linear?
- Set pulley max to 1000
- Command 1000
- Command 500 (1/2 of max)
- Command 100 (1/10 of max)
- Is the actual linear with the commanded?
- If it isn’t, then the VFD may be configured with 4-20mA control or the breakout board may have a problem.
Set Max Frequency
- Calculate the Max Hz like this: Max Hz = Base Frequency / Rated RPM * Desired Max RPM
- For example, 60 Hz / 1770 RPM * 4000 RPM = 135.59 Hz.
- The Base Frequency and Rated RPM should be on the motor name plate.
- Make sure Desired Max RPM is not faster than the Max Motor RPM.